Friday, August 13, 2010

Skirt skirt skirt!

It was a rainy day yesterday, so I made a skirt.

I am not confident enough in my sewing skills yet to actually use a pattern. I tend to get all confused by that type of precision work, though I think I'll challenge myself with one soon. Anyway, instead I used Freshly Picked's elastic waist skirt tutorial. I've made several skirts using this tutorial, and they're SO easy and SO cute. This time, I decided to add a little sash that can be tied in a bow!

So I followed Susan's pattern, except for one part.

I freehand cut these out of the leftover fabric. Four pieces total.

Then I pinned & sewed the ties with the wrong sides of the fabric facing outwards. I left the small end unsewed, and then flipped them right side out. I measured my waist, and cut a piece of elastic, then cut the elastic in two.

Next step was to sandwich the tie between the two pieces of elastic and pin.
And you have this silly looking thing.
Then all you do is sew the skirt as you would in the instructions. Take care to make sure the right side of the elastic is matched with the right side of the skirt fabric.
And you have a cute little bow! I need to practice tying it. It's a bit cockeyed there.
I like the Ikat-esque fabric I got in the bargain section at my local fabric store! I am all for prolonging summer as long as possible!

Tonight, my sister and I are having a friend over for dinner, and I am going to make a cozy roast beef. It's rainy again today and somehow called for that kind of meal. I'll make hericots verts and oven-roasted three potatoes (yellow, sweet, and yams) to go with it. Mmm.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, i love this skirt and will be posting it on my site!
    ~ elizabeth
    www.to-be-charmed.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth! I love it too! The fabric is super lightweight and very comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so adorable! Would you mind if I linked to this from my blog? Also, I love the fabric choice. Great Job!

    suezpetersen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course, Susan! Thank you so much for your instructions! They have served me VERY well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...